December 7th, 1941. If you are like me that date sparks emotion and thought. It was a day of deceit, death, surprise, and much loss. It was a date in which the United States were caught unprepared. If you didn't realize it, it is the date that Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Empire of Japan. When I think of that date the first thing that comes to my mind is President Roosevelt's speech as he asked Congress to declare war. President Roosevelt starts off his speech by saying "Yesterday, December 7, 1941- a date which will live in infamy- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan..." President Roosevelt was reminding us that we will remember what happened for a long time. This past Wednesday was the 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. As I reflected on that day I had several thoughts that I felt were prudent to share in relation to our spiritual lives.
1) There will be a day that is coming which we will remember for a much longer time then the date in which Pearl Harbor was attacked. Judgment Day will one day come. The Bible has warned us of the great day that is coming. 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18.
2) Just like the attack on Pearl Harbor took so many by surprise, Judgment Day will come as a surprise to many as well. The Bible tells us that it will be like a thief in the night. We don't know when this day is coming. It may come in our lifetime, it may not. We do have a responsibility to be prepared when it comes. 1 Thessalonians 5:2-4.
3) December 7th, 1941 was day in which the United States lost quite a bit in the realms of life, and the ships in the naval fleet. I think historically it would be safe to say that the Japanese came out the victors of that battle (although they would not go on to win the war). Judgment Day will be a day in which there will be many losers, and few winners. Matthew 7:13-14.
4) The United States wishes that they had been better prepared for the Japanese. There were many warnings that were ignored, and as a result Pearl Harbor was caught by complete surprise at 7:55 a.m. as the attack began. The Bible gives us many warning about the day of judgment. Sadly there are many that are ignoring the warnings.
5) It has become obvious the amount of preparation that the Japanese put into their attack on Pearl Harbor as it had been in the planning stages for several days and weeks before the attack. Although this attack will be remembered for years to come by the people of the United States.There will come a day that has been planned for thousands of years. The Bible tells us that we don't know when it will happen, however we must be prepared. This day of judgment will last FOREVER. This day will truly affect all of mankind.
The question is are you ready for the day that is coming? If not I would encourage you to look to the Bible for directions on how to be prepared.