Followers

Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

Tebowing!

Tebowing!
By Michael Galloway

I will admit that I have always been intrigued by Tim Tebow. It is not that I have been a fan of the teams that he has played for, or even that I agree with some of the religious views that he holds. I have always been amazed by his willingness to do something that sadly many of us are too scared to do, won’t do, or maybe even haven’t figured out how to do it. Tebow is an example that we can all take to heart as we think about how we are supposed to let our lights shine (Matthew 5:15) and not conform to the world. Here are a couple of the things that Tebow does so well:

1) He finds ways to bring religion into conversation. Almost every time you see Tebow on television you will also hear or see something that has to do with “Christianity”. Jesus did this as well in John 4. How well do we do this (including me)?

2) He is not ashamed of the gospel of Christ.  Tebow doesn’t care what people think about what he does. I believe that many times we are scared of what people might think or say about our religion. Paul says in Romans 1:16 that he is not ashamed of the gospel of Christ. Are we?

3) He prays. Tebow prays so often that people are referring to what he does as Tebowing. What an example. How often do we pray? 1 Thessalonians 5:17

4) He attempts to give God credit for his success. Tebow realizes that God is in charge. He is always giving God credit for his success how often do we do this? James 4:10

I realize that Tebow is not someone who follows New Testament Christianity. I also realize that Tebow is not afraid to let people know what he does believe. He says that his reasons for this are as follows as he responds to some things that others have said about how he carries himself: Well, first I'd say, thank you for the compliment of calling me a winner and then I'd also say if you're married and you're a [husband] is it good enough to only say you love her on the day you get married or should you tell her every single day when you wake up and have an opportunity? And that's how I feel about my relationship with Jesus Christ. It is the most important thing in my life so anytime I get an opportunity to tell him that I love him or give him an opportunity to shout him out on national TV, I'm gonna take that opportunity…”(ESPN). Do we have the same attitude as Tim Tebow? Are we Tebowing?

No comments:

Post a Comment