Followers

Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

Was Cole Hamels right or wrong?

Cole Hamels, star pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies, was suspended by Major League Baseball recently for throwing at rookie outfielder Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals on Sunday, May 6th. The interesting thing about this incident (at least in my opinion) is not the fact that Hamels threw at Harper, but what happened after the game. In a post-game interview on May 6th Hamels said, “I was trying to hit him, I’m not going to deny it. I’m not trying to injure the guy. They’re probably not going to like me for it, but I’m not going to say I wasn’t trying to do it. I think they understood the message, and they threw it right back. That’s the way, and I respect it.” After Hamels admitted that he intentionally threw at Harper there has been article after article written bashing Hamels for what he did, and the fact that he admitted it. Although I don’t condone the action of throwing at Harper by Hamels, I do condone his honesty. As sports writer after sports writer has written about how stupid Hamels was for admitting that he threw at Harper, it shows how little honesty is valued in the world that we live in.

The interesting thing about the situation is that just like Hamels decided to be different and be honest. We as Christians must be different as well. 2 Corinthians 2:15 says, “For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing (ESV).” The Bible also tells us in Revelation 21:8, “But as for…all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death (ESV).

Although I don’t condone or appreciate the example that Hamels showed by throwing at Bryce Harper, I do appreciate his willingness to be honest and the example that he showed by telling the truth. I hope that we as Christians can be the aroma of Christ and have similar strength to tell the truth.
-MG

No comments:

Post a Comment