Followers

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Craziness?

Recently Lolo Jones, an American Olympic hurdler, said that she is a virgin and that she will not have sex until she is married. Later in a tweet she said, "I am a Christian. Saving myself for marriage b/c that's what the Bible taught me to do." What an example! I don't know what Lolo Jones's religious views are. I do know that she is setting a great example and I am so thankful for that.


What Jones came out and said has generated quite a bit of attention. She has had people who have poked fun at her position and others like myself who are so thankful for it. She conducted an interview with HBO and talked about how tough this stand has been for her. At one point in the interview she said "It's just a gift I want to give my husband. But please understand this journey has been hard. There's virgins out there and I want to let them know that it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Harder than training for the Olympics. Harder than graduating from college has been to stay a virgin before marriage. I've been tempted, I've had plenty of opportunities."


The Bible tells us "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many" (Matthew 7:13). The Bible also tells us that fornication is wrong over and over in scripture (1 Corinthians 6:18-20, Galatians 5:19-21). What a blessing it is that an athlete like Jones understands this and knows how important it is to follow what the Bible says, not the norms of society.


Following the Bible can be very tough. In fact, the Bible makes it clear over and over that living the Christian life won't be easy, yet will be worth it in the end. Revelation 2:10 tells us, "Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life."

The world may view following what the Bible says as unimportant, silly, and maybe even weird. What the world thinks doesn't matter, only what God thinks! It will all be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment